July 26, 2020
Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
We're loving this easy, last-minute dessert by George Eats... Because, it just isn't possible to always plan cravings! This single serve 'mug cake' recipe is perfect to have on hand, you can whip it up in just a few minutes! We promise it will satiate all your chocolate cravings throughout the cold, winter season, while providing a little antioxidant & mood boost.
This recipe is vegan, gluten free, nut free and FODMAP friendly. Serves 1.
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar (could substitute for coconut sugar)
- 1 tablespoon buckwheat flour or finely milled quinoa sorghum
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1/8 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
Whisk together the cocoa and boiling water in a small bowl before adding the remaining ingredients. The boiling water will bloom the cocoa and result in a deeper chocolate flavour.
Whisk well until a smooth batter forms and pour into a large mug. You want the batter to go up about halfway – any fuller and it will overflow in the microwave.
Place the mug in the microwave for 1 minute for a self saucing mug cake with a chocolate sauce down the bottom. You can cook it a little longer if you prefer a fully set cake.
Enjoy on it's own, or serve with a scoop of vegan ice cream.
Note: Every microwave is a little different in terms of power, so you might need to cook yours a little less or more.