This is Gaia Retreat & Spa's iconic soup for the colder months. It features an array of seasonal winter vegetables and plenty of immune-boosting ingredients that bring amazing anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties!
This recipe is designed to make some extra, so freeze for later use. The quantities can be doubled easily to make an even bigger batch.
- 1 large onion
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp. fresh turmeric
- Chilli Flakes to taste
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 medium parsnip
- ½ small Kent pumpkin
- 1 medium celeriac
- 1 large Swede
- ½ medium cauliflower
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, whole
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, whole
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, whole
- 2 L vegetable stock
+ Unflavoured coconut yoghurt, seeded sourdough and picked coriander leaves to serve.
- Slice onion, garlic, ginger and turmeric. Sweat with some oil in a medium sized heavy based saucepan. Do this over a low heat for about 10 minutes until very soft. When soft and starting to caramelise, add stock and warm over low heat.
- Meanwhile roughly chop all remaining vegetables, toss together in a large baking tray with some macadamia oil, salt, pepper, chilli flakes and the spices. Bake in a hot (200c) oven for about 30 minutes or till vegetables are starting to soften and caramelise.
- Add vegetables to pot, scraping down tray to remove any caramelised bits and pieces. Simmer vegetables until they are super soft - about 20 minutes.
- Once vegetables are soft, puree in a blender, or with a stick blender.
- Serve in warm bowls topped with coconut yoghurt and coriander, and sourdough on the side.