With the cold winter chills, our bodies crave warming and nourishing meals. We've been relishing in this flavoursome Singaporean Laksa dish from one of our favourite cookbooks The Global Vegan (by Ellie Bullen)... It takes us right back to the international cuisine that we miss so much!
This laksa features a home-made curry paste with an abundance of herbs and spices to give a huge burst of flavour. Aside from the amazing flavours, this dish deeply nourishes from the inside out with all fresh, nutrient dense ingredients, perfect for supporting glowing skin!
Serves 2, generously.
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Fish Sauce
- 100 g vermicelli noodles
- boiling water
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 200 g firm tofu, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 100 g snow peas, trimmed and cut in half lengthways
- 1 scallion, finely sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- juice & zest of 1 lime
- handful of coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon crispy fried shallots
- 1/4 long red fresh chilli, finely sliced
Curry Paste Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons sriracha chilli sauce
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, finely sliced (or use 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste)
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2.5 cm piece of ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 long red chilli, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander root, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil
- To make the curry paste, place the ingredients in a mortar and pound together with a pestle for 5 minutes, to form a smooth paste. Alternatively you can process in a food processor.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium–high heat, add the curry paste and fry for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add the stock, soy sauce, coconut sugar and vegan fish sauce (if using) and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, place the noodles in a large bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside for 2–3 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water, then transfer to serving bowls.
- Reduce the wok heat to low, add the coconut milk, tofu, snow peas and half the spring onion. Simmer for 1 minute, then turn off the heat and stir through the lime juice.
- Ladle the soup over the noodles and top with the bean sprouts, remaining spring onion, coriander leaves, fried shallots and fresh chilli or chilli sauce, if desired.